Session 1 taught by David Yarborough, Senior Pastor of St Simons Community Church.
Last night the Refuge attendees met at Wake Up Coffee Company for coffee and a great hang out time.
This morning I was preparing an upcoming blog post to be published this weekend on my personal blog. I was describing the basics of Refuge.
As I typed I realized I was writing a synopsis of Refuge and why it’s so special. As I proofed over these points I began to experience a warmth and peace. It was confirmation that this event is “plain, ole’ right”. It’s a God-thing. He smiles on it and I believe His favor is with us.
Here are the bullet points. I hope they inspire you as well.
- We will have some amazing meals because I think that there is something special when we “break bread” together in fellowship and community. Amazing meals should always be a hallmark of Refuge.
- We will have some intimate times of worship because nothing is better than a bunch of creative people gathering and expressing their music and songs back to the Creator who gave them.
- We will have some inspiring conversations with our keynote speakers. Our sessions aren’t keynote lectures. Rather, they are thought provoking, heartfelt conversations in a group that is large enough to be diverse, yet intimate enough to be safe and vulnerable.
- We will have extended times of rest and recreation because our bodies need time to be rejuvenated. If the “flesh is weak”, even when the spirit is willing, we can’t lead effectively.
- We will enjoy creation because God has blessed me to live on an amazingly beautiful island on the Atlantic ocean and few things can inspire us to see God like his beautiful creation.
- We will celebrate community because we’re intentional about keeping our group small and social. Refuge is an opportunity to establish long term relationships with like-minded people who can walk the journey with you.
It’s less than a week away for Refuge 2013. We’re putting the finishing touches on the event and I’m praying that the Holy Spirit is preparing those who will be joining us.
For now, I raise my “WakeUp Coffee” cup to you in anticipation of your arrival. Let the peace begin.
For the Kingdom,
We’re one-week away from “Refuge” and wanted to give you a couple of quick updates on optional activities while you’re here!
1. For those who attended our last “Refuge” you will remember the kayak excursion. Southeast Adventures is offering a special rate of $60 for the 3-hour kayak tour. More details on the excursions page.
2. St. Simons Island is legendary for golf. A number of PGA players call this their home and we have some amazing courses. Our host hotel, “The King and Prince” can hook you up with some golf discounts. Also, some of the free island magazines have coupons that are cheaper than the hotel discounts. If you’re bringing your clubs you should have some time in the afternoon to play.
3. CrossFit workout: Russ Hutto will be leading a complimentary, lower intensity workout for anyone who wants to participate on Tuesday morning around 8:00 AM (time and location TBA). It will be crossfit style but won’t be overly intense and will include some stretching, etc. Russ will talk more about that Monday at Refuge!
Don’t forget to use our event hashtag #RefugeSSI on twitter!
See you soon,
It’s almost here — a time to breathe, a time to relax, a time to focus in on God and His voice.
The “Refuge” sabbatical retreat for creative leaders and Christ-followers is coming in a little under 3 weeks.
For those who have not yet registered, please consider registering ASAP. If you scour our tweets and posts you can find some discount codes.
We’ve just updated our schedule. We have several inspiring sessions and the menu is coming together for some wonderful fellowship around the table.
Are you as excited as we are?